We’re excited and honoured to feature South Africa’s second largest independent animal welfare organisation on PetlifeSA for one year, starting July 2019.
Homemade Peanut Butter Doggie Treats
A simple, fun, one-bowl recipe that only takes 20 minutes to prepare. These yummy treats can be frozen and given to Charlie, straight from the fridge!
- 1 cup (250g) natural creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup (180ml) fat free milk
- 1 large egg (or 1/4 cup apple sauce)
- 2 cups (244g) whole wheat flour (or un-bleached all-purpose flour)
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup (30g) oats
- 2-3 strips cooked bacon, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 165°C.
- Use two large baking trays and line with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, gently mix the peanut butter, milk and egg together with a wooden spoon. Add the flour and baking powder. Use your hands to work in the flour. Mix in the oats and bacon. The dough is extremely thick and heavy.
- Turn the dough onto a floured work surface and use a floured rolling pin to roll out. Using a cookie cutter or knife, make fun shapes. The size of the treats can be based on the size of your dog.
- Arrange the shapes on the baking trays and bake for 18-20 minutes, or very lightly browned on the bottom. Remove the trays from the oven and turn the treats over to bake the other side for 10-12 minutes longer.
Allow to cool completely before serving to your dog. Store at room temperature in an airtight container or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Preparation: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: ± 50 minutes
- Servings: ± 20 biscuits, depending on size of biscuits